Sunday, April 26, 2009

All the things I've never seen - movie edition.

I admit it - I am passionate about movies and have always been somewhat hypnotized by them.

And yes, I remember saying I wouldn't be sitting around watching Princess Bride and Top Gun over and over, but one thing that's been an ongoing pursuit of mine since I was about 16 and worked my first job at a movie theater, is catching up on the movies that I haven't seen. Not all the movies, mind you, just the good ones. While I try to stay semi-current on the more recent movies in the genres I like, sometimes one slips by me and I need some help figuring those ones out, you know? So I thought maybe I'd post some of the genres and movies I like and then if anyone, perhaps, had any suggestions I could watch them while everyone else is at work. I do realize that Netflix attempts to do this for me but the results are neither as interesting nor as reliable.

* * *

Action, etc.
Cars - Two-Lane Blacktop vs. Gone in 60 Seconds - original or remake because neither had a story. Bullitt over French Connection.
Chase movies involving lots of different vehicles as in the Bond films, Mission Impossible's and any spy related movies.
Occult - Race with the Devil, Susperia (and the ensuing trillogy).
Gangster-esque films like Donnie Brasco and Ghost Dog but Infernal Affairs over Departed easily.
Asian-y - Old Boy trillogy (especially the Lady Vengeance one), Public Enemy, The Host, Battle Royale, Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle, Hero and House of Flying Daggers but NOT The Ring(s).
Bruce Lee is the man of my dreams - why are the good ones always dead?
Train movies and travel stories like Darjeeling Limited, Mystery Train, Road Trip and Euro Trip.
Comedy/Dramedy - Clerks etc., Amelie, 40 Year Old Virgin, Office Space, Half Baked over Pineapple Express, Almost Famous and the kind of movies that make you feel like you can be something important like a groupie, Breakfast Club, Young Guns 1 and 2, Repo Man, anything with an Estevez/Sheen, Cruz, Pitt, Diesel, or Wolverine except the obvious or the obviously unwatchable.
Any indies, brightly colored or where color shifts are part of the narrative, or with an amazing soundtrack. Jarmush, Godard, Van Sant, Wes Anderson, most Gilliam and Lynch and Gondry.
Sci-fi (space movies vs. hobbits) and superhero movies when done well and the story doesn't suck, animated is ok if there is little or no talking like Triplets of Belville, Wall-e, Spirited Away.
NO period movies, NO musicals, NO chick-flicks.

* * *

I think that's a good outline though not-at-all comprehensive so I promise not to shoot you down if you suggest one I've already seen. Keep in mind I'm not a total couch potato either - I'm also extremely busy with my more physical pursuits: swimming and soaking up lots of beautiful sunshine (while wearing and re-applying sunblock), shameless self-promotion in an attemt to find work, and carving the keys of the baby grand piano I'm making! More photos to come but for now..

3 comments:

  1. They've always made me uncomfortable for the actors who break out in song mid-movie and then go back to their business like nothing's happened - almost like the ad-lib in "the office", or "curb your enthusiasm" but not funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. I could list tons of movies but I have no idea if you'll like any of them and some of them are so obvious I'm sure you've probably seen them. Plus it looks like you don't come here much, so I'll just do a few.

    Chase movies: Ronin.

    Gangster-esque: Shanghai Triad (bonus: also an Asian-y movie by Zhang Yimou, director of Hero and House of Flying Daggers), Carlito's Way (way better than Scarface), everyone's must have seen Untouchables, right?

    Asian-y - JSA (First movie by the director of Old Boy), Peking Opera Blues (very funny, precursor to Kung Fu Hustle).

    Train movies and travel. Two for the Road (has nothing to do with the movies you mentioned but is a very underrated travel movie).

    brightly colored: Akira Kurasawa's Dreams. Zhou Yu's Train.

    Sci-fi: Well since I've been listing all Asian-y movies I might as well continue, Natural City. Once again, nothing to do with your list, but anyone who hasn't seen THX 1138 should check it out, most underrated Sci Fi movie ever (I want to know what happened to the guy who made that, because he should make more movies).

    ReplyDelete